Under the Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Act 1999 (EPBC Act), actions that have, or are likely to have, a significant impact on a matter of national environmental significance require approval from the Australian Government Minister for Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities.
The eight matters of national environmental significance protected under the EPBC Act are:
- World Heritage Properties.
- National Heritage Places.
- Wetlands of International Importance (listed under the Ramsar Convention).
- Listed Threatened Species and Ecological Communities.
- Migratory Species Protected under International Agreements.
- Commonwealth Marine Areas.
- The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.
- Nuclear Actions (including Uranium Mines).
The Dargues Gold Mine Project was referred to the minister as it may impact listed threatened species and ecological communities. The Project was assessed on preliminary information, with approval granted on the 27 September 2011 for Referral 2010/5770. A subsequent Referral was made on 7 September 2015 for changes to the approved project as part of Referral 2015/7539.
- 5 November – Inquiry received from the Australian Government regarding EPBC Act referral
- 20 November – Project referred under the EPBC Act
- 24 January – Determined as a controlled action requiring assessment and that the Mine would be assessed on preliminary information
- 27 September – Approval granted with conditions
- 22 November – Application to vary Condition 22 of the approval was submitted
- 12 December – Variation of Condition 22 approved
- 7 September – Referral 2015/7539 submitted to the Department of the Environment
- 23 October – Variation of Referral 2015/7539 approved
- 27 October – Referral 2015/7539 determined to be a Controlled Action
- 23 June – Preliminary Documentation submitted for 2015/7539
- 20 July to 17 August – Preliminary Documentation placed on public exhibition
- 29 August – Response to submissions submitted to the Department of the Environment
- 17 February – Project Approval granted.
Approval Documents 2010/5770
The approval document is provided below: